Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Blog Post #6

 EOTO Reflection

Netflix, Inc. | Wookieepedia | Fandom One new technology I learned from a classmate is the history of Netflix. Netflix, a streaming service in our world today, was first started in 1997 by Mark Randolph and Reed Hastings. The one thing that surprised me was that Netflix was not a streaming service when it was first invented, instead it was a DVD mailing service. As I am not a huge Netflix person, I had no idea that Netflix used to be a mailing service where you'd go online and rent any DVD you wanted. I've always thought that Netflix was an online streaming service. Netflix changed from a DVD mailing service to an online streaming app in 2007. They also started binge-watching, which was something I did not know. I knew binge-watching came from people watching shows and movies on streaming apps and services, but I did not know Netflix started it. Netflix had a huge impact on other popular streaming apps that we use now, including Disney+, Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO Max, and so many more. We all know now that cable networks aren't as popular anymore as there are more and more streaming apps that are in use. Although it's sad that we use more online streaming websites than cable network, this demonstrates that there are many positives and negatives to changes in technological innovations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Post #11

  Final Blog Post     My relationship with technology and social media is equally distributed, in my opinion. There are times where I think ...